Monday, November 12, 2007

What a difference and accent makes

I have long disliked the show Max & Ruby - in fact it used to drive me up the wall. Ruby's pompous know-it-all voice just is like nails on a blackoard. I banned it in our house.

That's quite a bit of dislke for a cartoon character. I really need to find better things to do with my time.

The other day I had the tv on for Julia - she was so sick nothing else was making her happy and I was beat. They announced Max & Ruby coming up on Treehouse. I cringed. Julia clamoured "Max & Ruby, Max & Ruby, Max & Ruby".

I gave in and debated looking for earplugs.

Surprise surprise... North American Ruby doesn't sound beligerent. Or like the future victim of dismemberment by her fed-up, put-down and therefore slightly psychotic younger brother (okay, I have a real issue with British Ruby).

No, north American Ruby sounds patient. She still talks too much (he's still going to need therapy) but she doesn't make me feel like screaming.

Late this afternoon we were fighting to get some curtains hung over the gaping hole that should, one day we hope, be our bathroom in the basement. We were getting a lot of "help" so we put on the tv. Max and Ruby up next... Marc grabs the remote - to find something else. He is shocked when I say that we can leave it - that this Ruby isn't so bad.

He agrees.

Not that I am saying anything about the Brits.

Really.

1 comment:

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

Who knew? I wonder if we share a Ruby; ours is nasally, but benign I guess.

Too funny.