Monday, November 26, 2007

Am I (gasp) becoming a grown up?

I have rediscovered the radio in the car.

I say rediscovered because for several years (shall we say, um, 6???) I haven't been able to bear noise in the car. Or maybe that's just MORE noise in the car.

The situation got worse after my fall 3 and a bit years ago. Apparently the impact to my mouth - though enough to fracture my jaw and knock all my teeth out of alignment - should not have caused any damage to my hearing. I don't believe it. Nor does my husband who has been running around turning things off due to near constant nagging and threats that my head is going to explode. I seem to have lost the ability to filter things out.

Where was I going with all this? Oh yeah, no more radio. Or at least very rarely. I generally try to tune out the backseat noise and sigh in relief when there is none.

Today I actually turned the radio on. No idea why. I think maybe it was the dark cloud that had ben following me around all morning. Or the frightening void left when I dropped Julia off at nursery school. She talked NON STOP, ALL MORNING. I actually heaved a sigh of relief when I dropped her off this afternoon - an audible sigh that another mother overheard and had a giggle over. Ooops.

So I am driving home from nursery school and I turn on the radio. Flip stations a bit, nothing sounds like what I want to listen to. And then I find it.

Classical music. And not the type that I usually like, baroque or what Julia calls "Ballet Music". No, this was big loud, full symphony with tons'o brass and big drums classical. It mirrored my mood, all that banging and crashing of symbols.

I noted the radio station for future reference. No ads - yeah! The announcer came on and that's when I realized: I was listening to the CBC. And LIKING it.

Now, no offense to CBC listeners - the CBC has just always seemed like such a grown up or responsible thing to do. When I was a kid we only had two television stations : the CBC and CTV. CBC was always the more high brow, educational channel.

The CBC is kinda like brown bread in a white bread world.

I've been waiting for my grownup papers to arrive for years now. I think they may have come in another way today.

I continued to listen in the house as I baked an apple pie. I listened on my way back to the nursery school to pick Julia up. Funnily enough she liked the music too - and it wasn't all classical, there was some Oscar Peterson, some big band type stuff.
Maybe she's more grown up than I am...

On a completely different note - though still radio related - there is a group on Facebook lamenting the fact that Terry Demonte is leaving CHOM to move to Calgary. The voice of Montreal, 25 years on the air is leaving. People are pretty broken up about it.

Don't get me wrong, Terry and Ted in the morning is about as Montreal as you get (says she who has not really tuned in for years due to geography). I remember working in the bank next to their building on Greene avenue and seeing all the "celebs" at the muffin shop in the old Post Office. Terry is an institution.

But there is a part of me that wants to point out that he's done this before - he took off to Winnipeg at one point, and came back. Doesn't anyone remember how his sidekick Peppermint Patti never came back?? It's sad, but I wouldn't be surprised if he makes his way back home again.

And that is really all I have to say. Really.

No comments: