Friday, February 22, 2008

Spargel

The other day they had some bunches of asparagus at the store. I served mine for dinner tonight.

In Europe, or at least the part we lived in, asparagus is a huge thing - almost as big as "Les Moules sont arrives!" (the mussels have arrived).

Last year for my birthday we went to Baden-Baden for the weekend. During "spargel" season. There was asparagus on pretty much every menu we saw. We drove by road-side stall after road-side stall selling bunches for 5 euros.

On the way there we laughed at the signs - I mean, it's just asparagus right?

We had a great weekend... it was beautiful and sunny, warm for April. The trees were all in full bloom - oh how I will miss European spring this year!

With the exception of Marc's girlfriend Betty (his GPS) trying to direct us through a fountain onto a pedestrian street, nothing went wrong. We ate well, saw a beautiful town, did a bit of shopping (my Thomas Sabo charm bracelet... sigh).

On the Sunday we went to the Lowenbrau Biergarten for lunch. It was my first visit to a beer garden (I don't need to tell you it wasn't Marc's - do I?). Our waiter wore Leidehosen.We sat out in the beautiful sun, under a blue and white striped umbrella. We nibbled on salty Bretzels (big doughy pretzels) while we waited for our lunch.

Mine was : asparagus. The best asparagus I have EVER had. It was served rolled up in a very light egg-y crepe and smothered in a buttery bechamel sauce (so good it was worth the dairy intolerance!!).

My mouth waters just thinking about that meal. All the way home we looked out for a SPARGEL sign to lead us to a stall. But they were all closed - not much goes on Sundays in those parts.

Anyone heading to Baden-Baden? Can you go eat some Spargel for me? (Cathie - I'm looking at you!!)

2 comments:

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

Mmmmm. I love asparagus & can't wait for it to come into season.

Now I'm hungry...

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I wish I hadn't read this right before bed...I'm suddenly craving a snack...