Monday, February 18, 2008

Family Day

We have a new holiday in Ontario - Family Day, the 3rd Monday in February.

This was the first one - they still have to work out some kinks in the system. A healthy portion of Ottawa and the surrounding area works for the federal government and was not off - but all schools and daycares (and day care providers) had the day off.

As you can imagine there was a lot of grumbling (what? from federal employees? Never!).

Marc did not have the day off (though he ended staying home in the end with a terrible cold). So I decided that I would take the kids to Montreal to hang out with - FAMILY. Kind of fitting for Family Day, no?

We left yesterday just before lunch because of the freezing rain that was forecast for the afternoon. We made it in plenty of time, with time to spare to go to the mall (Fairview for those of you in the know) to hit the H&M.

Yes, H&M, I was in heaven. I love H&M. I spent an indecent amount of money on clothes we probably don't need. But I love their kids clothes - how could I resist buying Stu a shirt that looks like a knight's chain mail (spelling? I am too tired to dictionary that) with coats of arms?

H&M fix finished (well, as finished as I could get) we rented movies, hung out at my mum's, had dinner, had another knitting lesson, watched Pride & Prejudice on Masterpiece Theatre. It was great.

This morning when Julia got up at 5:40 (???) I got up with her but went back to bed around 7 for an hour or so - hearing her playing with my Mum's Matroushka dolls and talking to my mum. I heard my mum take them down for breakfast and then come back up with a cup of tea for me. Sometimes all you need is your mum to take care of you.

After a visit to the notary (my father's never ending estate) we went to the European Bakery, picked up treats and went to visit my Opa. I see how much he ages between every visit - even Stuart commented today that Opa seemed older than at Christmas. At almost 91 he is in good shape, but so frail. I make sure to tell him I love him before I leave - I am dreading the day when we can't visit anymore, even if he can't really hear us too well, or is losing track of some things (though he can tell you all about Brian Mulroney's latest legal problems!!)

We had a quick lunch at my Mum's and headed out to the Ecomuseum that is part of MacDonald College. Ran the kids a bit in the fresh air, admired the beautiful arctic fox and some other animals and finally piled in the car to come home.

We put Family Day to good use.

2 comments:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

No family day here in BC, but our weekend was spent in a similar fashion. Visiting family...indulging in a shopping trip that wasn't necessary but oh so lovely.

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

Family day? That's brilliant...