Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Parlez-vous?

School starts for Julia this fall. Junior Kindergarten, in a real school.

When we were moving back from Luxembourg I was quite adamant that Stu go to a French school. Unfortunately the Catholic board would not let us in which left us with the French Board. The French school for our area left me cold though - or rather their website did. It hadn't been updated for 3 years - and made reference to their goal (for the next 3 years) of getting their provincial scores up to the standard. Not great self promotion.

And so Stu ended up in the local public school, in the French Immersion programme. Overall we are very happy with the school. I am not convinced as to the consistent standard of French in the school (despite having a French Principal), but for now it's okay.

So I have to say I have been a little surprised at the reactions of some of the parents I have talked to about Junior Kindergarten - or rather French Immersion starting in Senior Kindergarten.

There are 4 "tracks" in our school board at the moment - English, Early French Immersion (starts in SK), Middle French Immersion (Grade 4 start) and Late French Immersion that starts in Grade 7.

Late French Immersion has been canned this year. They are going to accept kids for the next 2 years who missed Middle Immersion, and then it's done.

I've met several people who are putting their kids in an English stream. As in English with 20 minutes of French a day. They seem quite determined that this is in the best interests of their children, that starting with a new language a year after starting school is too difficult.

Now, it may just be that I went through the French Immersion system (without a year of JK to acclimatize me to school) in Qebec and think I turned out pretty well. Or that I lived in a country where kids learn 4 languages before they finish high school - and quite often have others at home. I'm not claiming they speak all perfectly, but I find this a wee bit short-sighted, this English only idea.

I admit - I have done no research on the effects of a second language at the age of 5. But what I have noticed since we've been home? Ottawa is really REALLY French now.

Ottawa, as our Nation's Capital, is home to most of the Federal Government. You can't throw a rock down the street without hitting a federal employee - they are the largest employer by far in this town. And as a county we have 2 official languages, French and English. So all those federal employees? Should be able to speak both.

I've heard lots of civil servants complaining (in the 8 months I've been home) about how they are getting passed over for jobs because they don't speak French. Or that they can't pass the French tests to get the right combination of letters on their profile. Since Marc's been working for DFAIT it seems like half the government is going off on intensive French training. Weeks on end (usually in Quebec City, that's rough) to perfect their French.

I've been thinking that given the need for French that by the time my kids are looking for employment they will need a 3rd language to set them apart. French won't be the bonus it was for me when I went out into the work force. I was all for Stu taking German lessons Saturday morning to hang on to any Germanic language structure he has in his head. He didn't see things quite the same way.

People are hesitant to put their kids in if they don't speak perfect French themselves. How will they help them learn? they say. Middle Immersion will be soon enough I am hearing.

This confuses me. They're worried about not being able to help their kids deal with learning French in Senior Kindergarten, when they're learning things like simple vocabulary and basic math. That stuff is just too hard.

No, it's a much better idea to start it when they are starting Grade 4. When they can help with homework - oh wait, probably not.

I know, my opinion is weighted by my bilingualism. It's "easy" for me. But why is it easy for me? Because I started to learn French before I realized that school can be hard.

It just seems to me that this attitude, in this pretty little small minded town, is indicative of some of what is wrong in this country.

Come on people, it's a language.

Okay, here's me, getting off my soap box now.

1 comment:

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

Well, I'll step up for you, speaking as an English speaking American.

Our school systems avoid second languages like the plague. We are too consumed with testing to learn something necessary. (And let's face it: we have teaching assistants in every kindergarten here where I live, to help children speaking everything from Mandarin to Spanish to Russian. The money is being spent; why not TEACH it.)

So both of my kids have taken classes, offered after school and love it. (Zack recently took a 2 week French class and loved it.) Unfortunately, it just whets the appetite and really doesn't stick.

We are looking into some immersion schools in the state we may be moving to. Zack may benefit; it would be harder on Lexi.

Still. I wish I spoke more than one language. We've considered investing in the Rosetta Stone software and starting there, as a family.

(Greg speaks Spanish, pretty well, and I figure if the kids started with me, we could speak it at home.)

Ok, enough babbling.

I just wanted you to know that I think learning it, while you are young, is easier and better. I only wish my kids could graduate with 4 languages under their belt. What a gift.