Thursday, April 17, 2008

Happy Birthday to me

I should be asleep (as it is after midnight) but I find that birthdays get you thinking.

Thinking about life, where you are, where you were this time last year, the year before, 5 years ago.

Last year? Marc was in Seville and the kids and I had a lovely evening on the terrasse of the Pizza Hut on Route d'Arlon. It was unseasonably hot and I was in a sleeveless dress. My good friend Edith came over afterwards and we sat out on the huge balcony off our bedroom and drank wine. It was a good birthday, with the exception of the absent husband.

2 years ago? Hmmm. Not so clear (terrible I know, it was a stressful time at work).

3 years ago? My mum was over and Marc and I went - sans enfants for the first time since Stu was born - for an overnight trip to Troyes in the Champagne region. Stayed in a beautiful old hotel, visited some champagne cellars, stumbled upon Rembrant's studio (at his summer house) quite by chance.

4 years ago we did the mailrun up to the base at GK to get the mail. I was 8 months pregnant with Julia and thought I would never get out of the car by the end of the trip.

5 years ago we had the best aupair in the world living with us.

6 years ago? I took my friend Jenny to Belgium to sign the plans for her new house while her husband was out of town. Then we went to Puccinella's for lunch. The house turned out amazing.

7 years ago? In Vienna, suffering from morning sickness and very disappointed that it was snowing on Easter weekend. If you haven't heard it already ask Marc sometime about our asparagus risotto incident.

8 years ago I was in Amsterdam, staying in a sweet little hotel and crying in my wine at an Irish pub (they really are everywhere) because I was turning 30 and I had no job, no friends and it wasn't exactly where I thought I would be in life. The move to Luxembourg was a little hard on me. Of course looking back now I see how foolish I was, so free. What I wouldn't give today for 2 nights in Amsterdam with Marc, some croquettes and a couple of dishes of poffertjes!

Today (or rather yesterday, since I am being nocturnal)was good. My mum came on Tuesday. The morning started with Marc wishing me Happy Birthday and me burying my head under the pillow (my body seems to think I am on pacific time). Stu then came bounding up the stairs to give me my present. We got up, got ready. Julia was fast asleep but came thumping down the stairs and demanded "What time is it??" (she was still half asleep) and when she found out it was morning grinned and thrust my present at me.

I got some lovely gifts - another Tudor book to fuel my obsession, some great paper goods to help make keeping track of those household jobs easier (poor Marc!), an adorable raincoat, and... a pink iPod.

My mum and I spent some lovely time in the Glebe in the sun, and tomorrow we are heading to the Canal Ritz (thanks to my stepdad) to have a girlie lunch while Stu is at school and Jools has a playdate - so we're stretching things out.

And now I have 2 minutes of battery on this laptop so I must stop rambling...

4 comments:

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

Happy, happy birthday! Hope it's the best...

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Happy birthday! Hope it's been lovely for you!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Tracy! 1000 bises from France...

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Teclado e Mouse, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mouse-e-teclado.blogspot.com. A hug.