Sunday, March 02, 2008

It's just wrong

Marc went to see a hockey game while he was in Florida. Panthers vs the Leafs - Leafs won in a shoot out in OT.

In telling us a bit about the game, he told us that - hang on to your seats hockey fans - there were CHEERLEADERS.

Yes, Cheerleaders.

He was sitting next to a guy from Alberta and he turned to ask him "Um, what are those?"

Guy replied shaking his head. "Yeah, they're uh - cheerleaders."

The "Ice Dancers" are the Florida Panthers... cheerleaders.

I admit, I am appalled. This is not what hockey is about to me. It's bad enough that we have pop music blaring now in every arena instead of the good old organ and Stompin' Tom, but cheerleaders? In itty bitty outfits - Hello?? Hockey arenas are supposed to be COLD. You know - the ICE for SKATING and all? And gold pom poms?? What the...?

Let me share with you "5 Things you should know about Melanie" (one of the Ice Dancers in high heeled white patent leather boots):

1) Melanie is a huge sports fanatic. She loves football, basketball, NASCAR and of course, hockey! (My comments - wow! I bet if she could be a football or basketball cheerleader she'd forget she ever saw a hockey game. And is NASCAR really a sport?)

2) She loves to travel. She has been to dozens of countries and hopes to travel even more. (My comment : has she been to Canada? Where you need to wear CLOTHES and sip Timmy's at hockey games?)

3) She grew up in a small Texas town - playing hide and seek in the corn fields and catching tadpoles in the creek. (What can I say? She caught tadpoles! Wow! Now shake your booty honey! Keep those hockey fans in the arena until the end of the game!)

4) Even though she's from Texas she has a talent that you wouldn't think a Texas girl would have. She can snow ski! She's been skiing since she could walk and she can ski down pretty much anything! (my comments - phew - I am so glad they explained that she skis DOWN things! I was scared she'd been cross country skiing through the cornfields or something. As for the skiing down anything - how about the side of the arena? The Empire State building? Has she skied down the Eifel Tower in her travels to dozens of countries? Oh. She means she can ski down just about any SLOPE... duh, silly me.)

5) A quote she lives by is - "Live life to the fullest, with no regrets!" (I have no comment. I am too mesmerized by her Fake & Bake tan and sparkling white teeth.)

Have I mentioned I am appalled. Yup, I guess I have.

Cathie - even you must want the Leafs to win against a team with cheerleaders!

2 comments:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Oh my.

The title of this post is so right.

That is just so wrong.

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

We're going to a hockey game Friday night, and by God, there had better not be any cheerleaders.

That is crazy talk.

And it's too cold.

And. And. And.

It's crazy.