Wednesday, January 16, 2008

where is it in the rules?

The other day I got a Christmas card from a friend in B.C. In it she apologized for sending it in January and I thought - holy cow, she's good to even send them.

I like the idea of Christmas cards. I like to receive them. I love to buy them. Some years I even manage to write a few, but rarely do I manage to mail them.

The last few years I have blamed it on having a December baby - Stu was born the 4th of December. So there's his birthday to organize. Then, when we were still living in Luxembourg, Kleeschen (the Luxembourgish version of Santa Claus) came on the 6th. By then it was getting too late to send them to Canada and have them arrive in time.

And it was a pain to get stamps in Luxembourg. If I ever get a government job, I want it to be in a rural post office in Luxembourg. You get to waltz in at 9, leave at 11:30 for lunch and then go back from 2-5 in the afternoon. Of course at 4:45 you close the doors and glare at anyone coming in because you're CLOSING - hello?!

Okay, so maybe their hours aren't quite that short, but not much longer either.

So - back to me not sending Christmas cards. Please don't tell me I could write them in November. I know I could, but it's just soooooo....... I don't know, too early. For me Christmas season doesn't begin until Stu's birthday is over.

This year I was going to send cards. After all, being a SAHM, I had no excuse (oh shoot me now for any and all judgements I made erroneously before having kids and staying home). I even bought supplies for the kids to MAKE cards this year.

Of course they only wanted to make them for people that live next door to us or their stuffed animals. Not many went out.

So. I've decided - that we will send annual cards. Just NOT at Christmas, when there are 17 zillion other things to do.

I have no clue what time of year we will send them. Working that out still. Wondering if maybe Back to School cards would be appropriate - as in "we all survived the summer".

Then again, after the summer I may be retiring to my room with a nice bottle of wine, and you wouldn't want a card from me then ;-)

1 comment:

Nora said...

Totally with you here! I have sent "new year's" cards...umm..sometimes.. in the last few years. It avoids the whole Christmas vs "happy holidays" dilemma and buys you some extra time, at least until February :-)