Friday, September 21, 2007

Too much Timmy's?

This morning Julia and I drove to Montreal to spend the day with my mum (yes, there was shopping involved).

On our way we stopped at Tim Horton's for a coffee for me and a box of 10 Timbits (donut holes) for Julia. I figured they would buy me some peace on the way to Montreal since she hadn't eaten much beakfast and it's nearly a 2 hour drive.

Julia loves her Timbits. Asks for them every day.

So she starts talking about them as soon as I turn the key in the ignition to leave the donut shop - and I ask her to wait until we are on the highway to break open the box (thinking "There's 10 in there and it's a two hour drive - do I really want her cracking into them now and either making herself sick or being hopped up on sugar at 8:36 in the morning?))

Then we got to talking about something and we'd gone about 50 km before I thought to ask her if she wanted one (I wanted one).

"Me going to eat them at Nana and DonDon's house" she informs me. "Me going to share them with Nana and DonDon, me going to give them chocolate ones."

Wow. the chocolates are her favorites. We now have to ask for 1/2 the box to be chocolate every time (YES - we are buying them too often) or there aren't enough chocolate ones to go around.

I tell her how sweet that is that she wants to share her favorite ones with Nana and DonDon and how generous. She beams from the backseat.

Getting off the exit to my mum & Don's I say to her "We're almost there - you can share your timbits soon."

She shouts out from the back seat "But me wanted a TIMBIT ROOM!"

What??

"Me wanted my room to have BROWN TIMBITS in it!!" - she is completely indignant at this point.

I very calmly (and I hope empathetically) explain that when we were picking colours for her room that we were in Luxembourg and she'd never had a Timbit. And that she had been pretty adamant that her room be PINK (pink pink pink... nothing but pink).

Big fat tears roll down her cheeks - "B-b-but ME WANTS A BROWN TIMBIT PAINTED ON MY WALL!"

Okay sweetie, we'll talk to Nana (the artist in the family) about it.

Sniffle sniffle "Okay."

The first thing she did when she got out of the car was thrust the box of Timbits in Don's direction.

And she did share her chocolate ones. One for Nana, one for DonDon - 3 for Julia.

1 comment:

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

I'm afraid I'm a little out of my element here - there are no timbits in our neck of the woods.

My kids are deprived.

I love that she wants one on the wall. What devotion.