Thursday, October 04, 2007

And in news today

For those of you who might know that Julia goes to nursery school in the Alta Vista area...

This afternoon (at 12:55) I was taking Julia to school. There were a lot of cops around at the corner of Heron and Alta Vista. And paramedic trucks rushing past. Because of this:


www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=d7fcbe85-8dc8-4f5f-828d-5cfcde8cc193&k=95742

The nursery school is about 500m from Ridgemont High School. Apparently all is well, but I was relieved that they didn't take the kids our for their play time this afternoon. Better safe than sorry.

I am a little weirded out (not big time, but as I type the concern grows). And thankful that no one was hurt. And wondering what the whole story is and how much we will really find out.

I remember having a friend on campus the night Marc Lepine open fire on women at UQAM in 1989. My mother was just blocks away from the Dawson campus when those shootings took place. It is starting to seem like there are too many of these things - and I think in Luxembourg we were sheltered from the reality of them.

3 comments:

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

That is scary. I'm glad no one was hurt. There was a hostage/police shooting this summer, right by where the kids were at camp. I know it can rattle you.

Traveller said...

Remember Wasserbillig? When one crazy father took the whole creche hostage? I think one worker was killed. One was definitely raped. It even made it onto CNN. In fact that's how they got to him, by hiding a gun in a news camera and shooting him in the head in front of the children. It's not always quiet in Lux.

lapoflux said...

I feel almost guilty writing this - but we were in Italy for the whole Wasserbilig thing. Visiting the leaning tower of Pisa and Florence. We only found out because of friends seeing it on CNN and emailing us.
I know it's not always quiet in Lux - just seems more quiet than here ;-) I also remember the gold heist at the airport and sitting under an overpass on the autoroute for over an hour that was manned by a very nervous YOUNG soldier with a big scary machine gun...
I guess I am also a little "homesick". Send me a Lait Russe and a good PPAC and I would be better? (petit pain au chocolat)