Monday, June 22, 2009

Dry those tears

The bump was a good, loud, resounding one.

Our dining room table is made of heavy oak. Pretty hard on a little head.

The tears were immediate - loud, big... a wail.

I bit my tongue - the tongue that after a long day with two under the weather kids and a travelling husband wanted to say things like: "I told you to stop chasing the cat!" and "What were you doing under there?!".

Instead I held her and rubbed slow circles on her back. Let fat tear drops fall on my foot.

"It h-h-h-HURTS Mama!"

One day what hurts her won't be made better by a hug and slow circles on her back. So I bit my tongue and held on to my baby and tried to commit the moment to memory.

Memory that I hope will help when I feel helpless to stop her tears in years to come.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Beautiful sentiments. I've been trying to appreciate some of these moments more as well. I know the time will come all too quickly when my son no longer "needs" me to kiss his bruises, or when the kisses simply won't help as much.