Thursday, May 28, 2009

not much to say

I don't seem to have much to say these days (again? still? who knows?)

I do have stuff to say, but none of it seems to need saying here. Or it's just too - um personal. Unrefined.

Or things that might not need all that interesting (you know - to my thousands of readers - ha ha!)

Like the kittens - how much they are growing. How much I adore them - which I didn't think I would. I really thought I was getting them for the kids and yet I find myself picking them up and muttering silly baby talk at them (do you see lonely old lady with cats in my future? Me too - scary). That I love being followed around the house. And how I could easily put the little rotters out of the house when they do their Olympic tryouts on my bed in the middle of the night.

And there is my baby - who had the nerve to turn 5 two weeks ago. Who won't stop growing. Who performed in a ballet show on a BIG stage at one of the Universities last week. Sure, she was only on stage twice for 2 minutes, but holy cow. When did she get so big.

And the boy? The boy gets dressed by himself in the morning. Sure, it's not always appropriate clothing (how on earth does he always find the only things I wouldn't want him to wear to school?) but he gets up, pees, brushes teeth, gets dressed. By himself. Without the pleading/nagging/beseeching of years gone by. And then pours himself half a box of Honey Nut Cheerios for breakfast (there's a stock tip for you - at 7 1/2 he's eating us out of house and home already and Honey Nut Cheerios are his favorite thing right now).

My cousin had a baby - which has moved me this week. In ways I am not ready to talk about yet. Even to myself.

I am still grappling with our choice of school for the kids, second guessing, wondering, thinking I need to do something different. Remember when you just went to the local school for better or worse?

And what am I going to be when I grow up? I have 15 months until Julia starts Grade 1. Shouldn't I be doing something about that?

Hmmm. Maybe a shower and a second cup of coffee are in order this cold rainy morning.

See? I told you I didn't have much to say...

3 comments:

Tricia said...

It sounds like you have lots to say...all important thoughts running through a mother's mind.

My son turned five in February and I'm trying not to wish the time away by insisting on his independence. I know it won't be much longer before he'll be like your son and he'll gradually be finding out more and more that he doesn't require my assistance. It's such an odd feeling every time he stops needing me for one thing or another. I'm proud of his accomplishments, but there's a part of me that mourns the passing of time.

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

You have lots to say, but more to process, it seems.

Your life is lovely.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

At least your blog looks cute!

Life comes in waves I find. Sometimes we need to live, sometimes we need to write. Only rarely can both be done at the same time.