Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Dear Luxembourg

I miss you.

Miss you miss you miss you.

The weather here is grey and rainy today. Feels like I should be able to walk in to town to Table du Pain and have a Lait Russe (I had one in the comfort of my own home thanks to the coffee machine from heaven, but it's just not the same).

Stu picked out - by chance - the movie George and the Dragon this weekend (I actually have yet to finish it) and there are scenes in the castle that made me think "That looks like Vianden Castle" and then thought how ridiculous that was. Only it wasn't, because sure enough at the end of the movie some of it has been shot in Luxembourg. And the interview with James Purefoy has a beautiful shot of the castle behind him. Marc and I both sighed, knowing exactly where he was standing. The last time we were there was with Catherine, Neil and their boys and it was a perfect day. (and I still need to send her the photos... ooops!)

It's been a lot of little things lately. My friend Anneli sent us the poster from this year's Schueberfouer, since it was the first year we were missing it. The last day we were in Luxembourg we went to the Schueberfouer with friends. The poster was such a sweet gesture, one that made me feel very homesick.

Ridiculous things like having to have my first physical here - I had no idea if I had to disrobe, fought with the paper gown they gave me. It was fine, but I have been to Dr. S for so many years that it felt so... weird.

I try not to talk about how much I miss Luxembourg. I honestly didn't expect coming home to be this hard. I love being here, being near family, having a great support network... but I still have moments where I wonder what we did moving home. Canada was always going to be here, but Luxembourg is no longer an option for us.

I decided that I would like to make Boxemännercher for Klee'schen this year (the 6th of December when Saint-Nicholas - called Klee'schen comes). I found a site with several Luxembourgish recipes. Just reading the word Gromperekichelcher (potato fritters) made me long for the Place d'Armes and the little butcher shop that used to sell them with compote (apple sauce). I even miss the Mousel Cantine... oh and the Pyg... and Pucci's... and the Bistro down the road... and Swagat... and and and... And that's just the food. I won't even go on about the people I miss.

I have no clue where I am going with this post. I don't suppose there is much to make me miss Luxembourg less. And maybe that's okay. But today it is making me feel a little blue.

But I think I will be making Boxemännercher this year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay babe, i gotta say that, after reading your latest entry .. the whole decision to go back home isn't lookin' so hot.

eeek.

at the very least, we'll be able to grumble, moan and reminisce over wine - together.

mizz p

lapoflux said...

Oh hon - no, overall it's awesome to be back. Well, except for the snow stuff that will happen.

I think it's a bit different, you're working there but everything is soooooo different from here that it's not really a viable life choice for you indefinitely... you know? It's not similar to here in any way, and you'll miss it like crazy, but I don't think you'll feel quite this way? (I could of course be terribly wrong).

And if you don't come home? Me and Purple are gonna have to come drag your butt back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mizz T

Anonymous said...

Anytime you want to come visit, you're welcome to stay with us!!! We'll even throw in some bakery hopping, castle tours (there's a lovely one in Hoensbroek)and, if the timing's right, a Christmas market or two.

I have no clue what a Lait Russe is, but I'll learn to make it (maybe I can trade it for some of your hubby's yummy belgian pancakes)

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

The longing is palpable.

I hope saying it's hard helps.