Friday, December 14, 2007

What? a 5 minute window?

To post?? Wow...

That being said I am sitting with the dueling Magnetix building children. There's 200 pieces in the box Stu got for his birthday, how is it they are constantly arguing over a piece?

So... what to say. You know how when you have a friend you talk to every day you always have something to talk about, but then if you don't talk to them for a while you haven't got much to say? That's me right now. I am sure there is some argument to be made for our lives being made up of mostly small stuff.

In our world we have been busy. Rushed off our feet busy. The boy turned 6 on the 4th - 6!!! Was he not just a tiny baby? Where did the time go...

He also got his first report card - better than we had anticipated in a lot of ways. The transition has been hard on him. Skipping Sr Kindergarten was hard on him. But he did okay (even got a couple of A's).

Parent teacher interviews (another first in our house) were a bit of another matter. The arts teacher : "Stuart marches to the beat of his own drummer" as an opener. Bad mother that I am I giggled at some of the stories they told . I am not sure if it was nerves (in part) or the fact that I am so relieved that I am not the only person who can't mold his will to my way. He's a really stubborn little guy apparently, even at school. Smart as a whip, but a non-conformist. We're trying to figure out how to teach him to still hear his own drummer, but not leave the rest of the parade and end up falling off a cliff.

We had a hugely successful birthday party for Stuart - I say that in relation to the amount I was DREADING it. We booked an indoor playground called Midway. We could only get 5-7pm on a Sunday night by the time I got my act together. When I went to inquire I was too late for something else to look around properly (I'd heard it was an okay venue).

Invitations went out, I dreaded the calls saying that it was too late on a school night (what kind of mother books a party at that time? geeesh) but all the kids we really wanted to be there came.

The morning of the party we went to another party in Stittsville at a place called the Moo Zoo. It was a party for a 3 year old. The place was tiny. The play structure was no bigger than that at the Quick on Route D'Arlon in Luxembourg (think Belgian McDonalds). We'd only booked the play structure for Stu's party - egads, what if Midway was the same?

My son would be an outcast - victim of an uncool party booked by his socially challenged mother.

We went home from the morning party and tried to "add-on" to our party. They don't answer the phone at Midway, you have to leave a message. By 4:40 when we left I was in a state.

I need not have feared - we were able to add-on bumper cars when we arrived. We had a great party host. The "tunnels of fun" play structure went for miles. The bumper cars were a huge hit. The tokens for the arcade were a huge hit. THe food was inhaled. Marc and I were NOT STRESSED for the whole 2 hours.

And Stu is not a social outcast (until my next chance to mess up that is).

Tonight we have a concert at Julia's nursery school. They've been practicing for weeks now (she's in two classes, so two presentations to make). She's pretty pumped about it... I just hope she doesn't get stage fright when she sees the number of people in the audience. Tomorrow she has an open house at ballet - I dug out our video camera (which I realize we have not used since June 2004 - eeek!) and tested it out taping her talking to me. She loves the camera, our little prima donna....

On that note, it's been more than 5 minutes and I have rambled on for too long. We need to make & eat dinner and get dressed up and out of the house in an hour. Mission impossible?

2 comments:

Traveller said...

It was Thoreau who said, "If man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. LET HIM THEREFORE MARCH TO THE BEAT IN WHICH HE HEARS." (my emphasis) This was my motto in high school so I know it well. Unfortunately high school is too late. I wish I'd known it sooner and that I had a mother like you who admires individuality and not conformity. Keep up the good work! Let Stu be Stu. He's a lovely boy and will turn out well, at his own pace and to his own standards.

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

Nah, completely doable.

Hope you have a great time at your concert.

Now, chop chop chicken. :o