Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I'm not usually ungenerous

We've all had the plague here for the past two weeks - well Marc and the kids at least. I only mention it because I am sleep deprived and perhaps not thinking clearly...

I just got an email from an acquaintance asking me for my babysitter's name and number and basically a reference for her so this person can start using her.

First of all - this is not a friend. It's the friend of a friend who I make an effort with but who really, probably isn't going to end up as a friend and I am fine with that. We attend some of the same birthday parties, our girls were on the same soccer team last year, that sort of thing.

The thing is? Our sitter is BUSY. As in we usually, with the exception of the rare Sunday afternoons when we have to take a child to the doctor at the same time that we have have to take the cat to the vet to be put to sleep, we usually have to book her plenty in advance.

Not to mention that our sitter? Lives about 10 doors down from this acquaintance and has for years (and that's 10 townhouse doors, so it's really close). When we moved home I went trolling for sitters on the street and found her. There's also about 4 other babysitting age girls within a 1 block radius.

I think my main hesitation is that this woman - who I really have nothing against - is quite, um, picky. You know, the kind that usually seems to find fault with things? And seems to be a little badly done by on a regular basis? If it doesn't work out I feel like I will be partially responsible for having vetted the girl.

It may just be the sleep deprivation talking but I don't feel like just handing over my sitter's number. I'm just not sure how to answer the email.

I know, big problems. The last two weeks have made me petty.

4 comments:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I'd be hesitant too.

Maybe some blatant honesty is called for? "Sorry, but the poor girl is overworked as it is." Or something along those lines?

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

I don't have a good answer for this one either.

A good babysitter is hard to find.

Then again, if this girl is in high demand, I bet she'll just be busy after one night with a too picky Mom.

(I remember the families I sat for once. Then I just was crazy busy busy busy whenever they called again.)

I hope you get some sleep soon. It's exhausting, caring for the sickly.

Anonymous said...

What if you said that you'd give the sitter HER phone number, and let her (the sitter) call if she is interested?

Good luck.

Nora said...

First, so sorry about your cat. Then, about the sitter, my sympathies. You could always just delay answering, and likely she will find someone one else to do babysitting...