Saturday, December 20, 2008

from a 4 year-old persepective

"Mama - for Christmas I want a penguin."

"Oh? I thought you had a few penguin doodoos already. Do you really need another?"

"No Mama, a Real Live Penguin. It can live in the backyard in the winter and we can go tobogganing with it and it won't! NEED! a! TOBOGGAN!!"

"And MAMA!!! In the summer it can live in the fridge. We'll feed it fish and keep it cool!"

"Um... where would our food go if the penguin is in there? I don't think it's such a good idea to put it in the fridge."

"Yes Mama IT IS! Our own PENGUIN!!" (hysterical laughter, she's giddy, positively GIDDY thinking she's negotiated her own pet penguin).

"I don't think we're allowed to own a penguin in this neighborhood Julia. I think there's a law about that." (Throwing in a law here or there keeps my sanity, because I mean really, you can't argue with the police).

"Oh." Slightly crestfallen. 

"I want a Real Live Gingerbread Boy then! REAL LIVE!"

2 comments:

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

It's like my house. We are always pining after fanciful creatures.

I always lean on the long arm of the law, for back up.

It helps, I swear, when they have your back.

katydidnot said...

i'm in love with her. i will buy her a real live penguin, so could i have her?