Friday, April 20, 2007

A little bit of EFH

Stuart and I have a bedtime routine - after story and lights out, we lie in bed and talk about our favorite parts of the day. It's an important part of our day, one that we both look forward to.

So I was a little surprised the other night when Stu said "Mum... before I go to sleep can we do" (and here I expected him to say favorite parts of the day)"MATH?" he says with excitement.

This is a new thing with Stu - he's obviously going through a mental jump, learning to read and write and... do math. I love how exciting it all is to him.

A few weeks ago he asked for math flash cards when we were at the air force base. He loves them. He's forever throwing out questions like "Mum, what's a thousand thousands plus ten?" You can almost see the wheels turning in his head.

We've bought him some exercise books that have math and reading exercises and he's thrilled to do them - we've even bought him a desk for his room for him to do his "work" at. At his request - he needed a desk he told us.

As we lie in bed and he peppers me with thousand thousands plus 2 and I watch him figure out what 6 plus 3 is and I think "My dad would have loved this."

My dad thought you were never too young to enjoy math - and enjoy it he did. There wasn't much that couldn't be reduced to an equation to him. He would have been thrilled to see the interest in his grandson, would have delighted in the glee in Stu's voice when NUMBER JETS was on cbeebies last night.

So Dad, Stu's definitely got some of your genes...

No comments: